Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Sep 5 12 1:08 PM

John Fleming,
                       You are truly a car-guy and especially American Cars by dint of your American Auto-photos. Like Dennis McGlinchey of East Germantown, I am a Proud American and only buy American Cars. I was disappointed in the bail-out of GM by the tax-payers. I am not buying any Govt. Motors  Cars and I believe in the free-market and freedom and one can buy any vehicle that they so desire. I am consistent in my thinking and I will buy A Ford Vehicle in the future since they were not bailed out. I do not like The Administration picking winners as in solar-energy and approving of The Volt which is supposed to be energy-efficient. We should be  energy indepenpent and have a greater supply of energy including fossil-fuels which will reduce energy prices and help the middle-class who are getting beatened up. The Keystone Pipe-Line will increase our energy supply and we need more drilling on Federal Lands and more Ocean-drilling. You might take umbrage with drilling off the coast of Florida but it is being done off The Cuban Shores. Energy is a big issue for me in the next election. I will base my vote in the Presidential Election on the candidate who will provide jobs and not their race or religion. I do find it interesting there are no Wasp Candidate--President or VP. This is not the same America that we knew when we lived in Philadelphia and nearly everybody bought American  Cars and Bud was owned by The Busch Family,an American Family who had homes in Saint Louis and Fort Lauderdale. You grew up in Pennsylvania and you are a true-blooded American and I hope you drink Yuengling from Pottsville Pa which an old Germantowner,John Berkery, knew so well. Back in the day,people like John Payne and Paul Borian read about Pottsville in The Daily News. We were Germantowners and read The Daily News and when we could not get a date on Saturday-night, we went home with The Inquirer-with your big beautiful GM Cars,Buicks and Caddys, this would not have been a problem for you,Big Guy.                                         JB Schmitt

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Sep 5 12 1:59 PM

JB Schmitt

Like yourself, I USED to buy only American cars, and only GM cars. I guess it started with me, like with most people that grew up in the 50's and 60's, that usually bought the cars their fathers drove. I learned to drive in a 1947 Chevrolet convertible, and since then it I have owned everything GM made, except for an Oldsmobile and Saturn. I was the perfect GM customer, as I started with buying a Chevy, moved up the product ladder, skipping over Oldsmobile, and ending up buying Cadillacs, every couple of years, and buying the best Cadillac had to offer in 1985, a Cadillac Eldorado Eldorado, which I still own. Starting in 1991, both me and my wife starting leasing cars, all GM products. I alternated between Chevy and GMC SUV's, and she went from Pontiac Bonnevilles to Buick Rendezvous. We were leasing a new car every year and a half. I might mention that one of her Bonneville’s was my favorite. Loaded down with most options, I would put back the sunroof, and cruise down the AC Xway, and felt like I was 18 again, but I digress. I was really part of the GM family, buying GM cars, making money with GM stock, and owning a GM credit card for the rebates. This relationship started to crumple, when GM stock started to crumple. I broke the #1 rule, and somewhat “fell in love with a stock”. I should have listed to Kenny Rodgers, when he sang about “Knowing when to hold and when to fold!” I couldn't believe how the stock was tumbling downward. The only good thing that happened out of it for me, was that I still am writing off losses some 3-4 years later. The last straw in my relationship with GM, was when we went out to lease our last vehicle. Like a good soldier, I marched over to a couple of GM dealers. I first went to the Chevy dealer, where I leased my last truck, a Silverado, which I loved. They had almost the same model as I was turning in, but at much higher deposit and payment. Next up was the GMC dealer. I guess its my age and as McCluskey frisks Michael in the film “The Godfather” says “Ah, I guess I'm getting too old for my job. Too Grouchy --- can't stand the aggravation. You know how it is”. Although GM has gotten their act together, and producing better quality and great looking cars, they still do business like they did in the past, with all the haggling! I never thought I would ever buy anything American, but I was lured to a Mazda dealer with their great deal they advertised on leasing. I caught a young salesman in the parking lot, and asked him about the deal, and if there were any “hidden” fees, he said no, plus they make the first payment! I was hooked, they had me! I made the deal in the parking lot in 7 minutes! We love the vehicle and the service after the sale. I also feel , its my little part in making reparation to Japan, as most Mazda's are made in Hiroshima.

Yes, Yuengling is one of my favorite beers, in fact we just bought a case of their Black and Tan. You might be interested to know that Yuengling has a brewery down here in Tampa, and a tour of the brewery is on list of “things to do”.

Little Johnny Fleming on the front fender of the family 1947 Chevy Convertible, that I would learn to drive on 10 years later.

John Fleming Florida's favorite uncle Uncle Johnny

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Sep 5 12 4:20 PM

John Fleming,
                      You were always a  GM Guy until you transferred your allegiance to Mazda and now you are a Mazda-Man. You drove a Silverado and I am happy that you have not bought a Japanese-truck which is an oxymoron when the American Trucks are superior-GM and Ford. I am pleased that you drink a real American-beer-Yuengling which will keep you young since he means young-man in German. I wonder if Professor Jim drinks American Beer in Ireland and Catharine drinks Australian Wine or Californian Cabernet. I almost think in your American and Floridian Soul, you are a multi-culturalist-you could have a vacation in Indonesia and drive a Korean car around Jakarta where President Obama went to Saint Francis,the name of my alma-mater in Germantown.                                                             J. Bruce Schmitt

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Sep 5 12 5:25 PM

J. Bruce Schmitt ,

Boy did I ever love that Silverado! It had more options then I needed, but the price was right. I could start it from inside the house, so that by the time I got in, it was cooled down from the hot Florida sun. The mileage wasn't that great, but it more then made up for the cost of gas with comfort and convenience. The dealer had the exact same model 3 years later, but the lease deal, was way out of line. I have not sworn any new allegiance. Basically I am open to most brands. My choice will be with the dealer that offers me the best deal with the least aggravation.

Vacation in Indonesian? Not really in my bucket list of places to visit. I still have lots of the good old USA to see.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Sep 5 12 9:15 PM

Cyberbullying is back on this site. The good vibe just couldn't last. Never mind. There's one in every schoolyard.

We've been watching the DNC all day, watched all the preliminaries and Bill Clinton's speech, thanks to PBS NewsHour's live streaming. We're now listening to the roll call of the states, as the delegates cast their votes. The President has just gone over the top and is officially the Democratic Party's candidate for President of the United States. It's been a beautifully-organized and conducted convention. Looking forward to the President's speech tomorrow.

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Sep 6 12 5:23 AM

Hey Catherine, If you look in the mirrow,you will find the cause of "cyberbullying."We had a nice run of peace and tranquility on this site until you returned with your political views.You don't get it !!! At least half of the people in this country are fed up with the Obama Administration and his Czars,and the do nothing Congress.We need leadership and it ain't there with this President.It is not easy to be a leader,be it the president of a country,President/CEO of a company,Superintendent of a school district,etc,etc,etc.Talk is cheap !!! My advice to you is keep your political views off this site;otherwise,things will really get nasty. Paul Borian(Still proud of our once great country)

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Sep 6 12 8:37 AM

Oh my!!!! As the great philosopher, Steven Quincy Urkel, used to say “Did I do (start) that (this)? Cyberbullying? I think not! By legal definition Cyberbullying is “the use of communication technologies for the intention of harming another person” What harm was done? I say “no harm, no foul”. What I saw, was a healthy, passionate debate on the current political scene here in America, especially with this being a presidential election year.

Going back to my original post. I am sure that CMM is proud to be an American, but living on the other side of the world, I think her pride is based on the America she grew up in, and lived in, before she left our shores. I think, if and when she returns, she will find the America today, much different then the America she left and knew. I knew I found Philadelphia much different when I last visited from Florida. The Italian Market, was not the same I remember in years gone by. Italians were few and far between.

Speaking for myself, I find the political “discussions” a refreshing break from playing “remember when”, and taking the “strolls down memory lane”. I would suggest that everyone just take a deep breath, keep the replies respectful, and just hang in there until November 7th when its all over, except for the shouting. If you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the kitchen............

John "Mr Cliche" Fleming

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Sep 6 12 9:12 AM

Paul Borian,A Proud American-
                                                    I've known you for many years-going back to the 50's. I never thought of you as a dumb-jock but very astute concerning sports-analysis. I have never talked politics with you but we have talked about investing in our retirement years. In your last post, you suggested,however vaguely where your political compass points. If I understand your political point of view, you want a president who possesses leadership and understands economics and The American Free Market-System. Personally, I do not like the way The American Economy is recovering from the recession. We need Economic-growth to provide jobs and tax-revenue which would help our deficit,a debacle for the future generation. Without  economic-growth, the pie is smaller and too many people will be fighting for a smaller piece of the pie. We need a biggger pie[growth] so that people can have a slice of a bigger pie. With your great education at Nova and LaSalle,Economics and Accounting, you understand the principles of business and economics which is not understood by the preponderance of the electorate. I have no problem with people waxing on with their political views if they speak rationally and not emotionally and would understand the economic consequences of political decisions. On a lighter note, I will be heading to Michelangelo's on September 9 and hope to do some Bonding with many of The Intelligent Sreet-Smart Folks that we knew from Germantown-this would include Happy Hollowers and I might discover the name of "The Hollow Girl".                    Schmitty

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Sep 6 12 9:30 AM

Dear Jim, you are right, but I doubt that facts enter into the argument. It's mysogyny and politics, not reason. Of course, all American citizens have the right to vote and to live wherever we choose, including living where our spouses live and where we work, without being disenfranchised. Ignorance always makes more noise than reason. Catherine

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Sep 6 12 9:34 AM

Paul Borian,

Writing about watching a party convention is not making a political statement. I watched the RNC last week and am watching the DNC this week. Hold your fire.

BTW, the spelling is 'mirror', not 'mirrow'.

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Sep 6 12 9:50 AM

JBS, well said.

I take great offense to the posting on 06 Sep 2012 at 03:50 am which asserts that, because I live overseas,  my citizenship should be 'held in escrow' and that I should be disenfranchised. This extremist view ought not be tolerated here or anywhere in a free society. I have reported the abusive post to the forum administrator and demanded that it be removed.

Catherine

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Sep 6 12 10:17 AM

For the record CMM, I am fully aware that you and other such dual citizen expatriates have the right to vote, and even plainly said that here. So, there is no merit to your comment about being ignorant. Again, it is my “opinion” that if someone does not financially support a country through the civic duty of paying taxes, they should not have a say in its governing. As for your “reporting” me, puhleazzze..... I really don’t care if you don’t like my opinions. They are what they are, they are mine, and put forth without seeing a need for getting your beforehand agreement and approval.............Dennis McGlinchey

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Sep 6 12 10:46 AM

Dennis,

And what leads you to assume that I don't pay US taxes?

Americans anywhere are still obliged to abide by the tax code. The US Embassy and Consulates here have special sections to advise on and enforce tax requirements and there are accountants who specialize in doing tax filings for US citizens. You don't get out of paying taxes by living overseas.

MYOB

Catherine

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Sep 6 12 11:47 AM

Yo Catherine, You certainly know how to light my fire.So you watched the RNC convention.But don't recall you commenting about Ann Romney or anything else that took place during the three day party and waste of money.But you sure did display your emotions and party preference of the DNC convention,another party and waste of money.So Michele bought tears to your eyes.Who cares !I remember your comment on this site about how cool Obama is,shortly after his election.You know what,I'm cool too,but not qualified to run this country.The Obama's are beautiful people,and should spend the rest of their lives in Hollywood with their cool and beautiful friends.Sure beats Chicago.You got me going Cathy baby.Obama's greatest skill is that of a gifted orator.He lacks leadership skills.He is not a people person.He doesn't appear to like his fellow politicians.He rarely communicates with members of Congress nor with corporate chieftains-not on the economy,not on the European crisis,not on the job crisis.At least President was a schmoozer.Obama is dreadful as a schmoozer.Like it or not,successful politicians are schmoozers. BTW,how's my spelling? Did you ever make a typo? I'll have you know that I was a champion speller at Fitler. I can still spell the word agitate.AGITATE. Paul Borian P.S. Mirror,Mirror on the wall,don't waste your time commenting to Paul

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Sep 6 12 11:57 AM

oops ! I was referring to President Clinton.He was cool too.Played a mean saxaphone.He also played the field.A great schmoozers.A great politician.Came from a poor family.Now he is in the 1%.Is this a great country or not ? I'm Paul Borian and I approve these comments.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Sep 6 12 11:58 AM

John,

In your post of 6 September to Jim McKernan, I'm assuming you meant 'extenuating', rather than 'extending' circumstances.

If your job required you to live and work overseas, would you cease to be 'American'? If your wife accompanied you, should she lose the right to vote? Would you be liberated from the obligation to pay US taxes? No, of course not. Being 'American' is irrespective of location and the rights of US citizens don't stop at the border. 

Every human being, regardless of nationality, is entitled to move freely and their human and civil rights travel with them. It's enshrined in US and international law and UN conventions. For starters, have a look at The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to which the USA is a signatory. Article 13 deals with freedom of movement.

Catherine

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Sep 6 12 12:26 PM

CMM, I stated my opinion, which I stand firm on. Here in America, I have the constitutional right to express it. All your anger and venom, all your flying accusations, the reporting to the administrator what posts you don’t like, maybe blogs aren’t for you….. Jim Breen, your mention of Lake Waulenpaupack brought back a memory. It may very well be different there now, but my family vacationed there in the mid 1960s, in a small cabin across the road from the lake, a huge lake. The worst vacation ever, though a more recent Outer Banks vacation comes close. There was absolutely nothing to do. No tv, no place to go. We had the lake during the day, but nothing beyond that. Asking my mother about that vacation years later, you could see the color drain from her face. Stuck in a cabin with 5 young bored children for 2 weeks must have been hell for her…. I have a photo from that vacation in one of my Facebook photo albums.................Dennis McGlinchey

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Sep 6 12 1:37 PM

Dearest Catherine, END,OVER,AND OUT,NOW AND FOREVER FOR THE SAKE OF THE GERMANTOWN FORUM MEMBERS AND GUESTS. YOUR GERMANTOWN ACE,BUDDY AND PAL, PAUL BORIAN,NO LONGER TALL,AND NEVER WAS COOL.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Sep 6 12 2:12 PM

Dennis your position (opinion) on disallowing anyone who doesn't pay taxes the right to vote  is untenable and hopelessly immoral as well as illegal as it flies in the face of current laws. To disenfranchise those who pay no taxes would mean the 23 million unemployed US Americans would have no vote; soldiers wounded and unable to work with no income would not have a vote; retired persons without property or jobs would have no vote.   Americans abroad would have no vote-the crucial thing you overlook is that a person has to pay taxes where they are resident. It is unjust and illegal to force a person to pay taxes in two nations. The IRS defines this as living more than half the year in a country. This does not prejudice their citizenship and voting rights. America has good reason for allowing dual citizenship-not least due to the Great Diaspora which gushed millions out of foreign lands. Your solution is Draconian and barbaric and CMM is correct in her views. Sadly, remarks like those of yourself and John Fleming harken back to a time when we had few civil rights. We never wish to go that path as enlightened rational Americans. I also wish to make this comment-that this site should welcome whatever comments the sons and daughters and friends of Germantown as they make them. Bully boy tactics of trying to intimidate bloggers perceived to be "off topic" by narrow minds is to be deplored. Let all the flowers grow! America is better off than the mess Bush left behind. The wars are receding; Bin Laden is dead; GDP is up; stock market is up we have had' 30 months of increased employment and growth has happened as a fact. Nearly all Americans have health care!! I await my President's message tonight. We are heading the right way.  Most western nations experience the same problems we have had.   FOUR MORE YEARS!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help