Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 31 12 6:59 AM

Tags : :

JBS:  Just in the interest of accuracy, the D'Angelos (Bob, Joe,Tony) are the cousins of  one of the G'town Leathernecks (aka Devil Dogs).  That would be that Joe D'Agostino.  My cousins (2nd cousins, 13th cousins, once removed whatever) are the Pauzano boys, Lou and Albert (Peanut).  Their mother and my mother were first cousins .  While Lou was a Prepster like you, I am proud to say I hung my hat with the Class of 69 at LaSalle College until I left for West Point to observe  the great Bob Knight and his protege, then Cadet Mike (Coach) K.  Prior to college, I was a Brothers' Boy at LaSalle High where I walked in the shadows of Brogan, Lynch and Joe D'Angelo.

By the way, there was some talk here not long ago about people "living" at Seminole Hall.  My uncle owned that icon of 1950s weddings and other great parties (where both my cousin from Queen Lane, COL (Ret) John Manzo, and previous blogger Lou (Day) Giorno played music) during the 50s and into the 60s.  Does anyone remember my uncle, Matt Manzo from Germantown Ave and Abbotsford? (I know the D'Angelos and Pauzanos do!)

Regards to all,  and RIP Art Heyman (who put Duke on the basketball map),   GI Joe P

PS Hope your brother Ken is still recovering nicely (don't know if you ever got my private message back when the accident occured).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 2 12 5:37 PM

GI Joe,
            I hope that The Labor Day Weekend is going well for you. You know a lot of Germantown Folks-especially the guys from St. Mike's including my classmate from The Prep-Lou Pauzano. You went to LaSalle High but the two smartest guys in my SFA Class went to The Prep,one of whom was Pat MCIlhinney from Knox St. Brother Ken went to The Prep and I appreciate your kind support for him after being hit by a car while walking. Ken was in The 1958 SFA Class with three very smart guys-Frank Baggs Klock,Dave Glancey,and Phil Mulligan. Ken and Phil Mulligan went to The Prep and Dave G. and Baggs went to North. After their Oblate Education, Baggs and Dave decided to receive A Jesuit Education at Hawk Hill. As you know,Joe D'Angelo atttended LaSalle High but he wanted the discipine and the philosophical and moral foundations of The Jesuits that The Blackrobes offer and matriculated at Hawk Hill.  As you might know General Alexander Haight went to The Prep and West Point which you also attended. Don't think for one moment, that I liked many of The Jesuits but Jesuitical Discipline prepares one for military training and taking orders. My friend,Pat Sweeney,of East Germantown was thrown out of The Prep,two weeks before graduation for telling The Principal, his thoughts about his educational leadership. In Vietnam, Pat was a brave and heroic platoon-leader and was shot-up and badly wounded-a true leader of men. You attended West Point where you received a great education and developed leadership qualities. It would be great to see you and the many Germantown Guys that you mentioned when A Germantown-reunion is taking place at Michelangelos on September 8. It should be a great time with all those colorful people from G-town. If Joe Daggs shows up, he will be able to tell us what went wrong with The Phillies. I do remember Art Heyman of Duke and how Mike K. instilled discipline at Duke which he learned at West Point. I don't know your favorite Army General but Bobby Knight admired Patton and many bloggers liked The Patton Movie including our great photo-guy,John Fleming of Tampa. Geronimo!  J. Bruce Schmitt

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 2 12 6:10 PM

Speaking of West Point and favorite generals. The film MacArthur was on yesterday, and I saw it for the umpteenth time. Amazing the similarities in these two great men. MacArthur comes in a close second to my favorite general. So the question is, who would be the better MacArthur? Gregory Peck who played him in the film or Rod Steiger?

John Fleming Florida's favorite uncle Uncle Johnny

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 3 12 5:32 PM

John Fleming,
                      You and GI Joe are so well-informed about World History and War. As usual, I enjoyed your photo with Gregory Peck as  MacAthur,our great American General. As you would know, MacArthur was relieved of his command in The Korean War by Truman since he wanted all-out victory. Catharine of Australia, made some nuanced commentary about The Indonesian Revolution in the mid 60's where many Indonesians of The PKI,The Indonesian Communist Party were brutally killed and it was not the time to be a PKI Member or friend of a PKI Member. Colin Powell suggested that overwhelming force was needed In Vietnam to win that war. General Sherman marched through Georgia during The Civil War and ravaged the terrain to destroy Confederate Supply Lines which caused an early end to The War. The US won The Gulf War but if George H.W. Bush had ordered The Army to march to Baghdad and capture Saddam Hussein, possibly The Iraq War would have been avoided. Anybody that I knew who fought in Wars or who suffered from The Ravages of War,stated "War Is Hell".                          John Bruce Schmitt

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 4 12 12:13 AM

JBS, when discussing the Suharto/Nasution persecution of the PKI, Partai Komunis Indonesia, you must bear in mind that--in the environment of the domino theory that brought us the Vietnam War--Suharto was able to paint himself as anti-Communist, rake in zillions of US dollars in aid and persecute the only opposition there was to his dictatorship, i.e., the Communist Party. It was the Chinese who bore the brunt. As I said before, anti-Communism was anti-Chinese. Supporting Suharto was as ill-advised as supporting the government of South Vietnam but it went on much longer, until he was forced out in 1998 as a result of the demand for Reformasi, student-led, but broad based. 

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 4 12 5:40 AM

John Bruce Schmitt

Most assuredly, as Comdr. DeVriess told his new Ensign, Ens. Willie Keith, in the film “The Caine Mutiny”, “War is Hell”! Now if we could only convince other countries and nations of that fact, what a wonderful world it would be.

*One of my early inspirations to join the Navy.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 4 12 7:52 AM

Catherine,
                You are so well- grounded in your knowledge of Indonesian History which I find fascinating notwithstanding the fact that my critical analysis of Indonesia would be tangential. Your critique of how General Suharto took over Indonesia and suppressed The PKI was a scholarly interpretation. You,John Fleming,and I agree that "War Is Hell". Religion did play a part in the mid 60's with Catholics being anti-PKI. In the history of The World, too many wars have been fought over Religious-beliefs. I have known many people,both religious and non-religious, who were steeped in the history of Latin-America. There were Jesuits who supported Liberation Theology and other Jesuits who supported The Pope. The world is changing and one must have a world- view. I intend to watch the movie,"Obama 2016" and determine whether Indonesia and his global background had a large influence on Obama's  thinking. I do know that The World Economy is not doing well which will affect Australia and their contribution to Commodities-this is not good for The Aussie Dollar. Retired lads like John Fleming and myself,must be concerned about Global conditions since we want our golden-years to be golden and not just muddling along. Catherine! I hope that you enjoyed a balmy Labor Day in Australia since The Jersey Shore had a bad weather-day and the crowds were thin.
                                                                                                           JBS of The US

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 4 12 12:21 PM

JBS, it's 5am here, and the wind is starting to whip up. A huge cold front is moving in and there will be the biggest wind storm in years, with wind gusts up to 150 kilometers an hour. I just got up and went outside to take down all the wind chimes, stow the cushions and chairs and raise the carport door so it doesn't get damaged in the wind. By midday, the sky will be reddish-brown, with desert topsoil lifted and blown across the state. Will be a big mess to clean up afterwards. The roof was just put on the house going up next door to us; hope it's screwed down tight! It will be a wild day for sure!

Cath

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 4 12 1:11 PM

Cathy--Sounds like you're experiencing a return to the Dust Bowl of the 1930s here. Might these winds be the fabled "Brickfielder's" blowing off your southern deserts? They sound like something only a Brickyarder would appreciate. Batten down the shutters and stock up on cleaning materials. Kevin

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 4 12 3:24 PM

John Fleming,
                     You are a Walking Encyclopedia of Film and Movies- I will not try to Bogart you since you saw "The Cain Mutiny". I wonder if you saw"Paradise Road" which was filmed in Indonesia and starred "Glen Close". With your penchant for World History and your probing and inquisitive mind, I wonder what your take is on Indonesian History. I surmise that you would be happy that they gained Independence from The Dutch after WW II.  Catharine mentioned the slaughter of people that took place after General Suharto took power from President Sukarno. President Sukarno tried to walk on both sides of the fence politically,right and left but in the final analysis, it failed. I am not trying to be facitious and I hope that you had a balmy Labor Day in Tampa- it sucked in beautiful Spring Lake on The Jersey Shore. Catherine's Labor Day in Ossie Land was not kool at all but windy and Kevin,your literate friend, decribed this as The Dust Bowl in Oklahoma. Three Dog Night have never been to Spain but they had been to Oklahoma. You have been to Okahoma-especially when you saw "Grapes of Wrath" with Henry Fonda. With your love of Cars and Bikes, I know that you saw "Easy Rider" many times with Jane Fonda's Brother-Peter. It is not necessary to give me your opinion of Jane Fonda. I did go to a Joan Baez concert- I like the her lyrics in "Forever Young" and" Diamonds and Rust". Now that Labor Day is over, I thought that I would throw up some film and music for you to enjoy in balmy Tampa.
                                                                                                  J. Bruce

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 4 12 6:37 PM

J. Bruce

I have to confess that while I have an interest in World History, my knowledge of World History isn't all that extensive. My knowledge of Indonesian is very limited, and if the truth be known, I had to do a quick search on Wikipedia, to get up to speed. Quite an interesting history during and after WWII. What I found most interesting was that our president lived there and was educated there for 4 yours of his youth. Seems in addition to Muslim and an African background, he also had couple of years with Catholic Influence. One can only wonder what would have been had he been under the watchful eyes of the Jesuits! From ages six to ten, Obama attended local Indonesian-language schools: St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School for two years and Besuki Public School from one and half years, supplemented by English-language Calvert School home schooling by his mother.[17] Obama went by the name Barry Soetoro during his time in Indonesia.

Loved the film “Grapes of Wrath”. I especially love Jane Darwell as Ma Joad, as she was a spitting image of my maternal grandmother. Not only did my grandmother look like her, but my grandmother also had a humble life when I was a kid. I remember visiting her in her small house in Pine Hill, New Jersey, famous for being where Al Capone had a hideout. The house was small and well kept with a genuine outhouse in the back! What a classic piece of cinema when the Joads had to leave their home, and Ma Joad, took one last look at herself with her earrings, and showed her strength with her feelings about losing her home.

[the family is leaving the farm, heading for California]
Al Joad: Ain't you gonna look back, Ma? Give the ol' place a last look?
Ma Joad: We're going' to California, ain't we? All right then let's go to California.
Al Joad: That don't sound like you, Ma. You never was like that before.
Ma Joad: I never had my house pushed over before. Never had my family stuck out on the road. Never had to lose everything I had in life.

Most films, depending on your preference, from the 40's, 50's and 60's are great for car watching. My personal favorite is Alfred Hitcock's “Vertigo”. Great scenes when James Stewart is stalking Kim Novak, on the streets of San Francisco. Countless cars of that era in their natural state. Plenty of time to name the years and models of those that are parked.

1957 Plymouth Belvedere

James Caan, in the film “Thief” in his 1980 Cadillac Eldorado

John Fleming in Tampa Bay in his 1985 Cadillac Eldorado

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Sep 4 12 8:22 PM

No, it's just normal, Kevin, when the whole middle of the country is desert. When it hasn't rained in awhile and big winds blow, the topsoil is picked up off the desert floor and carried across the country and out to sea, eventually enriching the soil of New Zealand. The dust bowl of the '30s was in the US, chronicled by Steinbeck in 'The Grapes of Wrath'. Australia is the driest continent/country on Earth; dust storms just go with the territory.

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 4 12 8:25 PM

Soetoro was Barack Obama's mother's second husband, an Indonesian anthropologist, which is why our President was enrolled as 'Barry Soetoro' at school in Indonesia. He has a half-sister from that marriage. They are very close; I remember seeing her sitting with his family at his inauguration.

My husband and I just watched Michelle Obama's speech to the DNC, thanks to a live feed on the PBS NewsHour website. What an amazing, intelligent, articulate woman. She makes me so proud to be American and so proud that her husband is my President! I cried; John was amazed. It's his first time being involved and knowledgeable about the American political process and the conventions. It's a long and difficult process for 'outsiders' to comprehend, from primaries, straw polls, caucuses, debates, etc to the conventions and campaign and non-compulsory voting. It's important to me that he DOES understand, and particularly via the PBS NewsHour, he's becoming educated in our process of choosing a President. I'm registered to vote and will be receiving my ballot soon, by email. Wouldn't miss it for the world!

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 5 12 7:46 AM

Catherine Manning Muir ;

Proud to be an American”, but you choose to live in Australia. Interesting concept.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 5 12 8:37 AM

John, Americans have the freedom to vote from wherever they live in the world. You seem to question this regarding our dear Catherine's situation. We can choose where we wish to live and still vote. I certainly always used my absentee ballot when I lived in Ireland for 21 years. This also means that we are allowed dual citizenship-My lad was born in Ireland but has a certificate of an American born abroad and he is a proud American! . We can choose to live on the planet where we wish-that is one of our great freedoms.  You best check your self on such remarks.  Prof. Jim McKernan

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 5 12 9:00 AM

Prof. Jim McKernan

I was not questioning her right to vote, as I am quite familiar with most of the voting rules. My remark was made in reference to her saying proud to be an American, but living in on foreign soil. It is my contention that, #1 if a person is proud to be an American, why don't they live here? Obviously I realize that there sometimes are extending circumstances that prevents one from living here, such as their job. #2 I can see where a person can be proud of where they are born, but it is also my contention that unless a person still lives where they are born, they really don't have a feel of how it is to be where they once lived. I recently moved to Florida, and proudly tell people that I am from Philadelphia, but I don't feel any pride in being a Philadelphian anymore as I really don't know what its like to live in Philadelphia anymore. I might even go so far as to say, from what I read online daily, living in Philadelphia is nothing to be proud of anymore.  I say this not to upset those that still live and are proud to live in Philadelphia, but with the mindset, of the Philly of today, isn't the Philly I was born in and grew up in.  I might also add that it will take more then a political speech, from either side of the aisle to make me proud of being an American.  I feel more proud to be an American, when someone like John Wayne lists why he loves America.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 5 12 10:06 AM

John Fleming,
                       Obviously, Professor Jim and Catherine,The Writer, are bi-cultural. My wife,Ludmila,was A Professor and Writer,and she was tri-cultural- American,European,and Latin-American. Ludmila connected viscerally with all 3 cultures but at the same time,she felt blessed and fortunate to be a Proud American-the greatest country in the world. Many of her friends had dual citizenships and voted in two different countries. I go to a gym where there are many immigrants and they are all bi-cultural-China,India,and latin-America. I hang out with guys whose families came from different countries-Italy,Russia,and Poland but we are all-Americans. You have been so facile in adopting and becoming a Floridian. Florida is so different than Pennsylvania and New Jersey where you spent so much of your life. My wife,Ludmila,was so comfortable in Florida,where she could speak her best language-Spanish. When we went to restaurants in Miami,Spanish was the dominant language and my wife had an accent since she had The Argentine Cadence and accent. Florida was discovered by A Spaniard and Hispanics will be the dominant culture in the future. I have lived in The Jersey Suburbs for many years and I have never acclimated myself to suburban life-style. I liked Philly and Germantown better but these aforementioned venues have changed. During the summer, I spent a lot of time in Ocean City NJ and now I have headed north to Spring Lake and everything is kool. My point! One can live in Jersey,Florida, Australia,Ireland,and even Costa Rica and be An American.               John Bruce Schmitt- Germantown  American

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Sep 5 12 10:50 AM

Wow, so little discussion here about Germantown on this Germantown forum these days….. And, such gushing over someone who has been so ineffective in leading this nation out of its economic crisis, who added $5 trillion to our national debt level, saw an increase in American unemployment/underemployment, pushed through an extremely flawed health care reform act that will prove to do more harm than good unless its fixed (not repealed), has done nothing to fix Social Security, has raided the Medicare coffers, reneged on his troop withdraw and other such campaign promises, and whose lack of effective leadership has created a bipartisan stalemate atmosphere that is keeping this nation’s problems from being fully and rightly addressed. I forget who made the comment, “he is a good man, just a very bad president”…. I will admit, suffering from a George Bush hangover four years ago, I bought into that message of “hope and change”. What this country needs is action, not rhetoric. It is insanity to think that a different outcome will occur when you continue along the exact same course and direction. Time to change the locks on the White House. As for dual citizenship and the right to vote, yes it is an American right, but is it right????? How can you have allegiance to two countries at the same time? Unless you financially support a country through PAYMENT of your fair share of taxes (not just file a tax return), then you should not rightly be called a citizen and be on the voting rolls and have a say in how that country is governed. Sort of like if you own two homes, say one in Camden and another in Zephyrhills. You know you will be paying property taxes on both homes, but that is the result of your choice to call both places your home. What they SHOULD do is have an escrow system so that you don’t have to relinquish your citizenship. For example, CMM has posted here in the past, cryptically I might say, that it is her intent to return to the US to live when her husband passes away. That being her intent, now living in upside down Australia, she should be allowed to keep her American citizenship by putting it in escrow rather than lose it… Then, when her husband passes and she moves back to the US, her US citizenship is in tact. But, to exercise the right to vote, when you don’t exercise your civic duty by paying your “fair share” of taxes, is just plain wrong… I know it is allowed, and I know it is done, but that doesn’t mean it is right… Maybe in time the American legislative body will see the farce and correct this. Dennis McGlinchey (Proud to be an American, proud to live in America, and proud to still be living in the Philadelphia area)

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 5 12 11:08 AM

Good stuff Catherine. Now, if we can just get Michele proud to be an American. I know she said she was for the first time in her life, but I believe it is really her husband she was proud of at that time, not the country. I assure you, if the Democrats lose, it will not be because we disagree on how to govern the country. It will be because we are just a racist country, etc...been to this dance, the song is tired.

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 5 12 11:19 AM

John Bruce Schmitt- Germantown  American

Nice to know that I still have a knack to provide a “stimulus” on a message board forum. Of course I didn't think it would create such emotional responses! I was questioning the statement of saying you are proud to be an American, but live on the other side of the world. To me its like saying you are proud that Ford didn't take any of the government money, but you choose to buy a Chevy.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 5 12 12:45 PM

If Obama loses, it is because we are a racist country???? We elected him four years ago. Race had nothing to do with his getting elected then, and has nothing to do with his relected now. If he loses, it is because of his inability to effectively lead this nation through this economic crisis. Nobody expected him to solve all of our problems, but we did expect him to get us in the right direction. The Republican mantra, and I am not a Republican, "are we better off as a nation now than we were 4 years ago?"...........Dennis McGlinchey

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help