Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Aug 27 12 3:42 PM

Kevin, What a nice remembrance about your sister May,May.The McKernan's and Payne's,two large Irish families,were blessed to have Big Sis look over the flock.My sister was 7.5 years older than me,so we were not that close growing up.We are as close as ever in our twilight years,and for that I am forever grateful. Paul Borian

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Aug 27 12 4:27 PM

Allow me to first offer my sincere condolences to John Payne on the loss of his sister. I really don't know John nor ever met him or his sister, but can really sympathize with someone on the loss of a loved one.

To be quite honest, I really wasn't going to post anything, because of the fact that I really don't John, but I was emotionally moved by Kevin McKernan remarks about the honor of older steps that stepped in with the absence of a birth mother etc. It was obvious that Kevin and myself share more then being CD class of '62. I came from a typical loving family,with a great mother and father, but my sister, being younger, was more in touch with “young interests”. She was the one that introduced me to my love of movies, cars and so many other things. Most importantly, she was one “tough as nails” Irish female, that I knew I could always depend on when “The chips were down”. I am fortunate to still have her around, and I am glad that we are still “friends” after almost 70 years together.

To John I am sure you have found solace in celebrating the life your sister, To Kevin, I thank you for a heart warming reminder how really great an older sister can be.

John Fleming Florida's favorite uncle Uncle Johnny

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#26 [url]

Aug 28 12 10:43 AM

The McKernan Brothers,
                                         I applaud The McKernan Brothers for their kind and laudable commentary about sisterly-love. The McKernan and Payne Families were blessed to have so many beautiful Irish Roses. Kevin! You would have had good rapport with Brother Ken who was a restauranteur and one of the colorful characters along with Frank Klock in that great 1958 SFA Class. Possibly, you competed against SFA in basketball for Saint Vincent's and you would have played against Baggs and Ken and their best player was John Fowler- All-Catholic North-1962. You like to have rack of lamb from New Zealand and you must be a "Gourmand".  After Brother Ken decided to part company with his wife, he was into the rack and lamb. Ken is a bibliophile and has thousands of books in his home and many of them-cook-books.  My brothers and I have spent a lot of time in Baltimore,Annapolis and The Cheasepeake. You and Brother Bernie were hanging out in an elegant and famous restaurant in Baltimore-The Prime Rib. It was not an oxymoran that you ordered a Lamb Delicacy at The Prime Rib-it had to be succulent. My wife was from Argentina-The Land of The Tango and Beef.  However,in Baltimore, we dined at Tio Pepe,a Spanish Restaurant,where Ludmila could talk to the waiters in her Argentine-accent. The Mckernan Brothers could have hung with me and Ken on Bourbon Street in New Orleans-"Let The GoodTimes Roll". Brother Bernie and I are trying to catch The Lord's Grace and Brother Ken has put his cue-stick in the closet and hung up his spurs. Ken wants to head to the Delaware with some good books,possibly Catherine's and Jack Brogan's,and watch the river flow.                                                              J. Bruce Schmitt 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help