Lead

Aug 26 12 6:33 AM

Tags : :

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 26 12 6:38 AM

This past weekend I travelled back to Philadelphia to attend funeral services for my sister, Rosemarie Howells (nee Payne). To borrrow a phrase from our resident poet, Frank Klock, Rosie departed the world of material consciousness last week at the age of eighty. She followed her husband Mike, who left to explore the abyss only a few weeks before. I know funerals are often thought to be sad events, but I came away from this one feeling wonderful, having been reunited with my extended family and friends. Rosie was the reigning matriarch of our family and is already dearly missed, but at the services I was thinking about my Roses, Mom and Rosie. That got me to thinking about one of my favorite songs, The Rose, written by Amanda McBroom, and performed by Bette Midler. As I thought about that song, it became even more poignant for me over this weekend as I chatted with relatives whom I haven't seen for a long time, and as I was watching my two year old grand daughter, who I was only meeting in person for the second time, while she playfully ran around in the grass of my nieces's large back yard. The beautiful and metaphoric message of that song was especially poignant for me and reaffirmed the cycle of life. My sister Rosie is already dearly missed, but due to ill health over the last couple years, it was time for that tenacious lady to release her spirit. Rest in Peace Rosie. You are greatly loved.  Your Loving Brother, John

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 26 12 6:40 AM

This past weekend I travelled back to Philadelphia to attend funeral services for my sister, Rosemarie Howells (nee Payne). To borrrow a phrase from our resident poet, Frank Klock, Rosie departed the world of material consciousness last week at the age of eighty. She followed her husband Mike, who left to explore the abyss only a few weeks before. I know funerals are often thought to be sad events, but I came away from this one feeling wonderful, having been reunited with my extended family and friends. Rosie was the reigning matriarch of our family and is already dearly missed, but at the services I was thinking about my Roses, Mom and Rosie. That got me to thinking about one of my favorite songs, The Rose, written by Amanda McBroom, and performed by Bette Midler. As I thought about that song, it became even more poignant for me over this weekend as I chatted with relatives whom I haven't seen for a long time, and as I was watching my two year old grand daughter, who I was only meeting in person for the second time, while she playfully ran around in the grass of my nieces's large back yard. The beautiful and metaphoric message of that song was especially poignant for me and reaffirmed the cycle of life. My sister Rosie is already dearly missed, but due to ill health over the last couple years, it was time for that tenacious lady to release her spirit. Rest in Peace Rosie. You are greatly loved.  

]

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 26 12 7:13 AM

John, My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your beloved sister Rosie.I remember her very well from our Germantown days.She rose to the occasion to keep the Payne family together after the untimely and unexpected loss of your mom.May she rest in peace with mom and dad and Patsy. Paul Borian

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 26 12 7:48 AM

Thanks Bor, I know a lot of folks on the site didn't know Rosie because she was a bit older. It's comforting to know that old friends from the neighborhood still remember her.

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 26 12 8:47 AM

John Payne...I'm sorry for your troubles but glad to see you have a good grasp on the circle of life. As I gather with my friends in church today, I'll remember your sister Rose as well as so many of our departed peers...yes, we 'll all be gathering at that river...Kevin

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 26 12 8:56 AM

DEAR JOHN AND FAMILY____________

My thoughts and prayers  to all the Paynes ,here and above.
And to ROSE,NEWLY RISEN.

love always,
frank.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 26 12 3:01 PM

Dear John and The Payne Family,
                                                        The people of SFA knew years ago the loss and grief that your family had to bear when your mother was taken at such a young age by God.  Rosie was not only a sister to you and Pat but gave both of you, maternal support and love. There are many beautiful flowers in the worlld  but you and Pat always knew that Rosie was the most beautiful rose and flower of them all. Now Rosie has departed to join Your Mom and Pat in heaven with Our Lord. This loss is difficult to bear and we send you our thoughts and prayer-"May Rosie Rest In Eternal Peace".
                                                                                              Bruce and Ken Schmitt

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 26 12 4:05 PM

John, our condolences go out to you and your family. Rosie is indeed immortal, living on in the memories of those who knew and loved her.

Best wishes,
Cathy

Catherine Manning Muir

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Aug 26 12 5:22 PM

John Payne...I'm sorry for your troubles but glad to see you have a good grasp on the circle of life.   As I gather with my friends in church today, I'll remember your sister Rose as well as so many of our departed peers...yes, we 'll all be gathering at that river...Kevin

-guest_guest

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 26 12 5:23 PM

John, our condolences go out to you and your family. Rosie is indeed immortal, living on in the memories of those who knew and loved her.
Best wishes,
Cathy

-catherine_manning_muir

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 26 12 5:27 PM

Thanks Cathy. Judging from the size of the stack of memories that many of us on this site post, I think that gathering at the river will be a regular event. Intereestingly though, as I mentioned in my announcement, when someone gets to run the entire race, while sorry, it is much less painful than the loss of the young, or the sudden strikes of fate. Thanks so much for your thoughts. Cheers mate.

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 27 12 4:31 AM

Dear John, I did not know your sister but by all accounts she was a gem. Please accept the sympathy and condolences of the McKernan family-I speak for them all.PeaceJim

-guest_guest

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 27 12 9:54 AM

Thanks Joe.  Good to hear from you. I hope all is well with you and yours. The three girls in my family are now passed, but the four boys, including yours truly are still kicking, but none of us is getting any younger. Thanks agan for you thoughts. It's good to hear from you. If you ever get by The Villages, please don't hesitate to look us up. John

John Payne

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 27 12 1:09 PM

On the occasion of the passing of John Payne's beloved sister, Rosemarie, I would like to say a word of praise in honor of older sisters that stepped in with the absence of a birth mother, or simply served as another surrogate mother in a large family.  My beautiful, red-headed sister Mary (May-May), nearly ten years older than I,  served this role within our family.  She willingly bathed my younger brother Jim and myself, dressed us, made our Halloween costumes and even served as assistant Den Mother to our fracus group of Cub Scouts.  She knew all sorts of interesting things, like the way to the Wissahickon  duck pond; the way to the Shore, and best of all, the way to Willow Grove Park.  She was, in my eyes, like the Lewis and Clark expedition team in shorts. In other words, she was a dynamic 'piece of work.' 

Once on our way to Willow Grove, on the 23 trolley, I suffered a sudden bout of motion sickness.  In a frantic need to pinch open those little windows, and get my little mouth between the bars protecting the windows, I let go, raining down a God awful mess of undigested Wheaties--"The Breakfast of Champions"-- right into a passing red convertible, being driven by a shocked young man.  I may have told May, "Oh, shit!" while the guy beneath us was screaming "Bastards!". He chased us for blocks, probably getting more angry by the moment, until we exited the trolley at Chestnut Hill.  "I think we're dead, May"  "Nonsense" she replied, "let me handle this..."  Within moments, my beautiful sister (Did I mention she was one of the runner ups to Miss Penn, back in the day?) had this irate madman charmed.  He even offered to take us the remaining way to Willow Grove.  But May-May and I, glancing at the bits of Wheaties in his hair and the mess in his car, respectfully declined.  Such is the value of having an older sister.  God bess them, John, yours and mine.
Kevin McKernan

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help