Remove this ad

Father Fred Gehring ex St Vincent De Paul Pastor

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Aug 22 12 5:05 AM

Tags : :

Folks, just wanted to let you know that this evening, Wednesday Aug 22nd Turner Classic Movies is airing (I think 5.30pm EST) "The Gallant
Hours"  a brilliant war movie without any war scenes! James Cagney plays Admiral Bull Halsey who saved our bacon by defeating the Japs in the Pacific.  Watch out for Richard Carlyle who plays Chaplain Fred Gehring-formerly Pastor at St Vincent De Paul on Price Street as "The
Padre of Guadalcanal". I knew him and had the pleasure to serve on the Guided Missile Frigate USS Halsey DLG 23 during the Vietnam War. The film is well worth a look.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Aug 22 12 9:43 AM

Helen, I may have erred with the time/date of "The Gallant Hours" starring James Cagney as "Bull Halsey" on TCM.  I recall they call Fr Fred by his real name in the film.  I was half asleep when i saw the notice on Monday. Sorry. But keep an eye out for this extraordinary Black n' White war film. Fr. Gehring also spent many years in China before Mao's Revolution as well as being a Vincentian and a Naval Chaplain. He wrote a novel about a girl he rescued from Japanese troops during the WW2 islands campaign. An exceptional sorta real man-priest. 

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 22 12 9:48 AM

Churchlanelad :
While Halsey was a major factor in defeating the Japanese in WWII, he wasn't the singular admiral responsible for victory. There were a few others starting with Chester Nimitz and including John S. McCain, who had to take up the slack, at the Battle of Leyte Gulf, due to Halsey's error in judgment. Oh yes, I think I should mention that I served aboard the USS John S. McCain (DL-3), in the early 60's.

Halsey with VADM John S. McCain, Sr.

USS John S McCain (DL-3)

John Fleming Florida's favorite uncle Uncle Johnny

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 22 12 9:58 AM

Patsy Li

While on Guadalcanal, Gehring discovered a six-year-old girl, who had been beaten and bayonetted, and was also suffering from malaria.[2] Gehring nursed the child back to life, and named her Patsy Li.[2] She was adopted by a Singaporean woman, who believed the child to be her own daughter of the same name, who had been lost at sea.[2] Later, the child was proved beyond doubt to be the woman's own daughter. In 1950, Gehring brought Patsy Li to the United States, where she became a nurse.[2] He wrote her story in the 1962 book A Child of Miracles.

Barney Ross and Father Fred Gehring, United States Marine Corps, with "peace birds" on Guadalcanal, 1943

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Aug 22 12 2:30 PM

John Fleming,
                      You shoulld have been in charge of the stimulus package for The Administration since you are stimulating people to submit exceptional blogs-Kevin McKernan with Western Civilization and sports, Professor McKernan with The Navy and Film,Jack Brogan with European History,and yours truly,with comparative analysis. Having said all that positive stuff, I do feel that Rod  Steiger could have performed equally well in the movie,"Patton".  George Scott was outstanding and I am no film-critic but he was not Rod Steiger. This outstanding actor was in one the greatest classical films of all time-"On The Waterfront". Check out the scene in The Taxi between Marlon Brando and Steiger,it was pure acting. Steiger was the southern sheriff in "Heat of The Night" and Sidney Portier received An Academy Award. The Great Steiger played a demonized priest in Amityville Horror. Steiger was the fight-promoter in "Harder They Fall" with Humprey Bogart. He sang in  Oklahoma and was in the great classic,"Doctor Zhivago. He was sensational in The Pawn Broker which I saw at The Bandbox which was not too far from The McKernan Residence. Could Steiger be a military-commander and play tough-guy roles? Let's start out that he played Napolean in "Waterloo" which was one of the great battles in military-history. He was tough when he played Al Capone in "Capone" and you know that Paul Borian,the great Hollow  Poker-player and Tom Razzano,The Hollow Producer really liked his performance. He did an Irish Priest  in  Amityville Horror and he was an Irish IRA Guy in" Hennessey". He was in hundreds of films and  if you tell me that George Scott was better than" The Great Steiger", I will drink some Hennessey Cognac[not French] and head to The Paoli Quarry and jump off the cliff. Some people called me Brutus but I am a loyalist and admired Herb Adderly,the complete athlete,and Rod Steiger,the complete Thespian. I am not being pedantic by using Thespian instead of Actor-Kevin McKernan,a member of The Culturati, will tell you that Thespis was a Greek Actor and Playwright  Before Christ. Tampa John! Keep trucking and posting with your photos.        John Bruce Schmitt

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 22 12 5:27 PM

John Bruce Schmitt,
Thank you for the compliment. I have always enjoyed stimulating discussions via Internet forums. Where else could people,from all over the world,instantaneously state their thoughts and opinions on almost unlimited topics.
Other then saying that I think George C. Scott, was the better choice for the part of Patton, just like Rod Steiger was the only choice for Police Chief Bill Gillespie, I wouldn't enter a debate as to who was better, in a debate of these two heavyweights. Both had a wide range of acting. Who could forget Stieger's backseat performance with Brando? “I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody”. Scott in “The Hustler” or “Anatomy of a Murder”. Scott in “Doctor Strangelove” or Steiger as the embalmer Mr.Joyboy, in “The Loved One”. How could I not like Steiger, who at the age of 16, ran away from home to join the Navy, and saw action in the Pacific during WWII on a destroyer? Scott was no slacker either as he did 4 years in the Marines.

Rod Steiger as Mr Joyboy in “The Loved One”

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 22 12 8:42 PM

John Fleming,
                       I have to tell you that your commentary about Rod Steiger and George Scott was very fair and objective. The Taxi-scene in "On The Waterfront" with Brando and Steiger with your addition of the dialogue was superb. Brando was considered one of the greatest actors and I think Steiger should have received greater recognition. Steiger not only played Napolean but also Mussolini. Your wife grew up in Hamilton not far from Bordentown where Napolean's Brother,Joseph, lived. In Bordentown, there is a statue on Mr. Common Sense,Thomas Payne. We both like Mastoris Restaurant where I stop when I come up from The Jersey Shore and it is difficult to be an Atheist if you were at The Jersey Shore today. I really enjoyed the commentary about Father Fred Gehring and your photo of Padre Gehring and Benny Ross,the famous Jewish Boxer. I learned about Benny Ross from a Jewish guy who was a friend of Lew Tender,another famous Jewish Boxer who had a restaurant at Broad&Locust. They were both at Guadacanal and life-long friends. It is a tragedy that Benny Ross was addicted to morphine which he used to alleviate pain-he died too young. I am amazed at the information garnered from The Forum. Your photos are terrific and now we need some cartoons from Florida. What's up with John Payne-our cartoonist in residence,
                                                                                       JB Schmitt

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 22 12 10:33 PM

JB Schmitt
It's not uncommon for a great actor that constantly turns in a great performance, to not get totally recognition, such as an Oscar. One actor that comes immediately to mind, is Fred MacMurray. For over 40 years he played a wide variety of parts. The murderous insurance salesman in “Double Indemnity” , the blowhard, cowardly naval officer in “The Caine Mutiny”, the lecherous married man in “The Apartment”, and everyone's favorite father in “My Three Sons”. I think we should make mention of the actor that played both in “On the Waterfront” and “Patton”, Karl Malden. Another great actor that could be depended on for strong performances. I would imagine that he was everyone's favorite priest, after Pat O'Brien.

Fred MacMurray and Edward G. Robinson in "Double Indemnity" 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help