Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jun 9 12 4:42 AM

Nancy I'm sorry to see such a young, talented man leaves us so early in life. I am a fan of this website (old and new version) where I see stories of old friends and acquaintances from Germantown. I wish you and your family the best. Jerry McKeon

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jun 9 12 5:37 AM

Dear Nancy and family. Deeply saddened to learn of Doug's passing. You both are to be saluted for a job well done with the Historic Germantown site.May he find everlasting peace. Jim McKernan

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Jun 10 12 11:01 AM

Dear Nancy,

I am sorry for your loss.  Doug was a great friend.  I pass on condolences from Philadelphia's Historic Neighborhood Consortium for which Doug set up our initial web site and later a link to our new site, and the Association of Philadelphia Tour Guides to which Doug was a member and great supporter.

Thank you for maintaining the Germantown Forum.

Del Conner

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jun 16 12 7:49 AM

Nancy, so sorry for your loss.  Your husband had been an calming hand during many a storm on the old site.  May he rest in peace and may you find comfort in they memories of your life together. 

As others have posted I found the old site easier to follow conversations.  I do not post a lot but lurk occasionally.  but which ever is easiest for you should be the way to go.

Bless you for time and efforts. 

Maryalice Armstrong Brennan

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jun 18 12 8:04 PM

nancy my condolences and my sincere thanks for dealing with the web with all that you had going on in your life. may god bless you and help you with your grief. dom raff

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jun 20 12 4:37 PM

Dom Raff,
                  I commend you on your kind words to Nancy in how Nancy has to deal with her grief and still maintains this great Germantown Web-site  which was created by Doug- her wonderful husband. It is so ironic that you are posting when a few days from now - our alma-mater,Saint Francis will be closing. Two weeks ago, I was talking to Lou Pauzano,your neighbor from Wayne&Manheim and Fellow Happy Hollower. Lou goes to Wildwood during the summer and he was not sure Wildwood is still your stomping-grounds but I am happy to see your are still kicking. I would guess that there will be many SFA and Hollow People attending The Last SFA Mass. We had a great class at SFA and we were blessed to have so many nice and beautiful girls as classmates- Sabina did make them humble. Recently, on this site, we were discussing Brill's Pool Hall and around the corner on  Chelten Avenue,The VFW was named after Rowland Adomoli. Rowland "Mole" Adomoli was our classmate at SFA and a tought character but you and I liked him.  You had the capability to get along with everybody and even at a young age, you had emotional intelligence. I went to The Continental for A Germantown- get together and there was a large crowd and I thought that I saw your old buddy-Johnny Boy. The McGeehans and Raffaeles were well known families in Germantown and The Hollow. Mike McGeehan was Johnny Boy's Uncle and the last time that I saw him was at The Continental. Your brother,Joe Raffaele, was at Gillespie's on Wayne Ave. when Mike had that horrific encounter. I only wish that Goony or the owner of the tailor-shop,a few doors from The Raffaele Steak shop was there at that time and I can assure you that there would have been a different ending. After The SFA Mass on Sunday, many of us will be heading to The Continental for food and beverage. I remember being with you at The Continental in 1955 for our SFA Graduation Party. It was hosted by The Simons Family and Linda Simons was in our class and Bud Simons,her father, was running The Continental at the time. Bud Simons even brough Ted Williams into the establishment-Paul Borian and Rocky,your brother,would have been impressed. Rocky and Bor were great baseball players and Bud Simons was a professional player-a pitcher.
.I read on this site that Linda Simons is riding horses in New Hampshire. You and I bet on the ponies and I hope that you had the winner in The Belmont. The Chapman Family who owned Smarty Jones, came into our restaurant in Jarrettown. Dom! It would be great to meet you in the future-We go way back,try the 40's.      John Bruce Schmitt- SFA

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jun 26 12 9:22 AM

I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR HUSBAN . MAY HE REST IN PEACE . WHAT A GREAT JOB HE DID FOR ALL OF US . IF YOU FEEL UP TO IT AND TAKE HIS PLACE !I AM ALL FOR IT . FRANK FROM LANSDALE. HAD BEAUTY SHOP ON WAYNE AVE FROM 1960 TO 68 .

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jul 16 12 4:06 PM

I AM SO SORRY TO READ ABOUT YOUR HUSBAN. DID NOT KNOW HIM ,BUT WHAT A GREAT JOB HE DID HERE !I HAVE STOPED COMEING HERE BECAUSE IT WAS TO CON FUSEING FOR ME AND ALSO MY FRIEND LOU GIORNO . IF YOU FEEL UP TO IT I WOULD LIKE THE OLD WAY THAT YOUR HUSBAND DID ! THANK YOU . FRANK MARGIOTTI . HAD THE SHOP ON WAYNE AVENUE FROM 1960 TO 68

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#29 [url]

Jul 16 12 10:04 PM

FRANK MARGIOTTI, Welcome back, Frank. I have missed your sage wisdom and depth of local knowledge, along with your friend, Lou Giorno's endless questions. As an old hairdresser, some recent posters are exhibiting a few unruly hairs up their you know where, and may need a clipping, just a trim, if you're still holding those sharp scissors. You have found your way this far. It's slightly different from our old Germantown site but not impossible to navigate. Stay with us Frank and share Lou's thoughts... if he's unable/unwilling. Both of your contributions extend our collective memories of old Germantown back another decade. Priceless! Kevin

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jul 17 12 6:09 AM

Dear Nancy

I am saddened by your loss. Doug was a voice of reason with a passionate interest in local history. He is deeply missed. But his work lives on.  I send the sympathy of my family and those of us from Germantown who understand his work and love.  I visited William Butler Yeat's  (Ireland's first Nobel Laureatte) grave here at Drumcliff Sligo just the other day. On his gravestone is written the lines from his last epic work

Cast a cold eye on
Life,  Horseman. On Death,
Pass bye.

Peace

Jim McKernan
Professor

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jul 29 12 11:53 AM

Gina Greer - I am interested in getnitg my daughter's senior pictures taken. Please give me the full price list , details for a la cart pricing. Where are you located? I am impressed with your photos!Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jul 29 12 8:11 PM

Sorry to reply you late. The link works well on our computers.You may try again, if it still fails. You may send a smtpaed return envolope (HKD8.4) to the following address and we will send you the book.Remember to wrtie down you want a copy of Sham Shui Po Book.Address: 上環皇后大道中233號柏聯樓3樓

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jul 31 12 9:48 PM

4 years dear 4 years its something very big.you were both tohetger for 4 years which means, you both shared so many things! Just try to recall all the good things you both shared and also the intimacy you both felt when things were not so good (during bad times,fights and all). So considering 4 years of tohetgerness i would suggest you that if inside yourself really if you really somewhere inside you want to give this relationship a 2nd chance ,then please go ahead!Afterall you loved her,right?And i guess you still do.2. you said She also said that her dumping me was the biggest mistake she ever made this means that she is really sorry about that. It also means that she is feeling so guilty about it as she never wanted to end the tohetgerness you both had but she was compelled to because of her insecurities.As a proof she wouldt have had dumped the other one for you. This means clearly that what counts for her is you..what counts for her is returning back again with you. so please do think about it..3. i know you went through a lot of pain by the fact she broke up with you..but you know dear sometimes when you are in a relationship with some1 its nice to know where the relationship is heading to. I mean we girl do think about it sometimes especially when we are with the one we are madly in love with.so dear just try to understand a bit..she went emotionally down and also insecured and she end up thinking that you dont love her anymore and thus she broke up thinking she gonna find some1 better than you which wasnt the case as the next day she saw you , she realised it was with you she wanted to be!so dear i would advise you to give her another chance..we are all humans..we make mistakes.so please 4years is really big..and besides if you still love her or have some feelings for her or inside you dont want to let her go then go for the dates and try make things better.and dear always remember do communicate it will lessen the problems and hey dont take the break up at heart. juST Take it as a sign for you to have a much better relationship with her and make it to the end Marriage!hope i was of some helpbest of luck dear and be happy!

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Sep 6 12 10:11 AM

Dear Nancy,

Hi. I just spotted your comments about the death of Doug. Yes, If you get more response to going back to the old format that Doug set up? Please do it. I find this new one very hard to move around in. I hardly go into it. In fact....I dread it. It calls for a Power user and an Engineer to figure it out. I hope you receive this. Hope your pain has eased some. But I doubt it. Love, Jim Breen, former G-town poster. East Seymour Street, the old days.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Sep 6 12 10:11 AM

Dear Nancy,
Hi. I just spotted your comments about the death of Doug. Yes, If you get more response to going back to the old format that Doug set up? Please do it. I find this new one very hard to move around in. I hardly go into it. In fact....I dread it. It calls for a Power user and an Engineer to figure it out. I hope you receive this. Hope your pain has eased some. But I doubt it. Love, Jim Breen, former G-town poster. East Seymour Street, the old days.

-reconbreen

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help