Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Nov 5 13 11:44 AM

Diners and Dives

I was watching the food channel the other night, hoping for a little inspiration and just seeing what's out there,  when suddenly there's host Guy Fieri of "Diners and Dives" fame, standing on Germantown Ave in all it's cobbled-stone glory, going on about a great cafe in the vicinity of Mt Airy--a locale very near and dear to our section of Germantown.  The cafe was called Geechee Girl Cafe and specializes in Southern cuisine.  The dishes shown looked delicious,,,but don't look for any pizza steaks on the menu.  Next time in Philly, I'll have to check it out, but would appreciate any review by one that has dined there.
http://www.geecheegirlricecafe.com/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jul 14 16 10:33 AM

kevin wrote:
This is a story about a disappearing steak sandwich.  It all happened innocently enough a long time ago on a brilliant Saturday around noon, in old Germantown.  A factory worker hailed me from a third story window and asked me to get him a steak sandwich and Coke at the nearby Band Box restaurant.  Anticipating a tip, off I went.  Now the Band Box wasn't a high revenue joint.  Orders were made to go as received.  Sitting at the counter I watched the shredded steak added and chopped on the grill until all the red was gone, caramelized onions joined the cooked steak and placed in one of those delicious Italian rolls.  Sauce was poured over everything.  The smells were killing me (had I had breakfast?).  The steak was wrapped in white butcher paper and placed into a brown paper bag along with the Coke.  So far, so good...

​ On the way back I thought the bag might be leaking, so I opened it, sure enough some of the sauce was leaking out of the butcher paper.  Did I mention that the smells were killing me?  I thought if I just licked them up, no one would know the better.  Well, one lick led to another as I circumnavigated the roll and nibbled off the ends.  All this succeeded in doing was wetting my appetite even more.  Screw it, I thought. I'll have half for my tip, hey?  Before I got close to that factory, that steak sandwich was history.  All that eating gave me a powerful thirst,  so I finished off the Coke as well.  Deeply embarrassed, I didn't go near that place for a long time, but I had learned some valuable lessons: In the face of an irresistible temptation, my willpower was nil.  And, there ought to be a law against restaurants venting out grill odors of steak and onions--it's more than some of us can handle.  

Can someone tell me more about this Band Box restaurant?  was it different then the theatre?  where was it located. I have been searching for the owner a bandbox restaurant in Philly for over a year.  I am helping someone track down their bio father who may have owned this place in 1959. I cant seem to find any info on it.  

Thanks!

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Jul 14 16 10:37 AM

kevin wrote:
This is a story about a disappearing steak sandwich.  It all happened innocently enough a long time ago on a brilliant Saturday around noon, in old Germantown.  A factory worker hailed me from a third story window and asked me to get him a steak sandwich and Coke at the nearby Band Box restaurant.  Anticipating a tip, off I went.  Now the Band Box wasn't a high revenue joint.  Orders were made to go as received.  Sitting at the counter I watched the shredded steak added and chopped on the grill until all the red was gone, caramelized onions joined the cooked steak and placed in one of those delicious Italian rolls.  Sauce was poured over everything.  The smells were killing me (had I had breakfast?).  The steak was wrapped in white butcher paper and placed into a brown paper bag along with the Coke.  So far, so good...

​ On the way back I thought the bag might be leaking, so I opened it, sure enough some of the sauce was leaking out of the butcher paper.  Did I mention that the smells were killing me?  I thought if I just licked them up, no one would know the better.  Well, one lick led to another as I circumnavigated the roll and nibbled off the ends.  All this succeeded in doing was wetting my appetite even more.  Screw it, I thought. I'll have half for my tip, hey?  Before I got close to that factory, that steak sandwich was history.  All that eating gave me a powerful thirst,  so I finished off the Coke as well.  Deeply embarrassed, I didn't go near that place for a long time, but I had learned some valuable lessons: In the face of an irresistible temptation, my willpower was nil.  And, there ought to be a law against restaurants venting out grill odors of steak and onions--it's more than some of us can handle.  

Can someone tell me more about this Band Box restaurant?  was it different then the theatre?  where was it located. I have been searching for the owner a bandbox restaurant in Philly for over a year.  I am helping someone track down their bio father who may have owned this place in 1959. I cant seem to find any info on it.  

Thanks!

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jul 14 16 10:43 AM

kevin wrote:
This is a story about a disappearing steak sandwich.  It all happened innocently enough a long time ago on a brilliant Saturday around noon, in .  A factory worker hailed me from a third story window and asked me to get him a steak sandwich and Coke at the nearby Band Box restaurant.  Anticipating a tip, off I went.  Now the Band Box wasn't a high revenue joint.  Orders were made to go as received.  Sitting at the counter I watched the shredded steak added and chopped on the grill until all the red was gone, caramelized onions joined the cooked steak and placed in one of those delicious Italian rolls.  Sauce was poured over everything.  The smells were killing me (had I had breakfast?).  The steak was wrapped in white butcher paper and placed into a brown paper bag along with the Coke.  So far, so good...

Thanks!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help