Remove this ad

Community Announcement from jackmchugh

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

#41 [url]

Dec 20 12 7:40 AM

Owenmeany3 : No reason you can't just start your topic on this thread. Actually I think most would just prefer to have this one thread, much like it was on the other forum.

John Fleming Florida's favorite uncle Uncle Johnny

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Dec 20 12 8:14 AM

I remember this time of year at St. Francis they had us selling Plantation Dainties Candy. In the mixed can of candy I used to like what we call the short straw with chocolate in the center. It would take some time but what I liked to do was cut a little off the end then suck the chocolate out without breaking the out coating.                                             I was thinking of just two products we had locally with great names that marketing companies today would pay millions just for the name. “Plantation Dainties” and “Tastykake”

Jack McHugh

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Dec 20 12 8:33 AM

One of my first jobs was working in the neumatic tube station  at Sears on blvd, We did not do money we would open the tube and decided which shipping deptment would get the order form,red,green or black. It was hard when you recieved a tracing of a foot.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Dec 20 12 10:24 AM

O.K.,  we all know how Germantowners' minds work, so many of you will be able to relate to this story.  I had a friend who took a seasonal job at one of those downtown dept. stores (Gimbles/Wanamaker's ?) that used the air-powered pneumatic tubes to route their sales.  I asked him if it was theoretically possible to send a fart upstairs that would blow them away?  "Yes" he said, and "I intend to do just this when I quit."  Even back then, these stores didn't pay well...and occasionally paid the stinky consequences.  :-)

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Dec 21 12 8:04 AM

Any other Italians out there that do the Vigil of the 7 Fishes on Christmas Eve?    It is a long honored tradition in the Leone family and I and my daughters and sister  have begun already gathering  the fine ingredients for this very special feast.  Of course, we always make food the center of the universe  whether it is Easter, Fourth of July,  First Communion, or just plain Sunday dinner, it's just something we see as children and then it continues.   Some of the fishes are; baccala (cod), clams with linguini, Mussels and spagetty, baked salmon, calamari in a light tomato sauce, shrimp coctail,  and last but not least, smelts fried in olive oil.   Anyone hungry yet?    The whole family will gather as we did on those long ago Christmas Eve's in our little house in Germantown.   The only difference today is the men also are helping in the kitchen since most of them have taken an interest in cooking and have even surpassed some of the women in the persuit of the perfect tomato sauce (gravy)   and meat balls  like my mother made.      As we approach another Christmas and  New Year, I wish all of you fine people God's blessings for a Merry Christmas and hearts full and love and gratitude for all we have.   H

HELEN LEONE D'ANGELO

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Dec 21 12 3:45 PM

Helen:  That's a very rich tradition you Italians celebrate on the Vigil of 7 fishes every Christmas Eve.  Makes me a bit regretful that I didn't date more Italian lassies back in the day.  I did date some Polish girls from K&A that observed this tradition.  I recall doing the "fish crawl," going from house to house for a different type fish,  but that was a time when we HAD to eat fish on Fridays...and I hated it!  Today, when we don't have to have fish on Fridays, I love fish (except for canned Salmon),  and will generally make it my first choice when dining out.  Go figure!  While they can't solve much of anything in Washington these days, we were able as a family, surrounded by friends, good food and drink,  to solve everything around our dinner table...or we were sent to bed with that old saw: "Children should be seen and not heard."   Merry Christmas to you and yours, Helen

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Dec 21 12 6:43 PM

A little trivia.

There are many hypotheses for what the number "7" represents. Seven is the most repeated number in the Bible and appears over 700 times.
One popular theory is the number represents completion, as shown in Genesis 2:2: "By the seventh day God completed the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work." During the feast of the seven fishes, participants celebrate the completion of God's promise of the Messiah through baby Jesus. Other theories include: that the number represents the seven Sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church; and that seven is a number representing perfection; the traditional Biblical number for divinity is three, and for Earth is four, and the combination of these numbers, seven, represents God on Earth, or Jesus Christ.
The most common theory and folklore is because of the Seven hills of Rome that surround the city.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Dec 25 12 9:31 AM

John Payne,

Regarding political cartoons. I don't think there has ever been a time in my long lifetime, that the country has ever been in such a serious state of being. It is my belief that the entire population is going to witness changes that will impact us in a very negative way. I think its very important for us to realize what is going on, and openly and freely discuss it. I might also add that the problems are the result of both parties, and especially the electorate, who put them in office in the first place.

HIDDEN FEAR '57 JOHN PAYNE CONRAD NAGEL NATALIE NORWICK

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 25 12 10:22 AM

There is one Christmas Carol that has always baffled me. What in the world do leaping

lords, French hens, swimming swans, and especially the partridge who won't come out

of the pear tree have to do with Christmas?

This week, I found out.

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted to practice their

faith openly. Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young

Catholics. It has two levels of meaning: the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning

known only to members of their church. Each element in the carol has a code word for

a religious reality which the children could remember.

-The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

-Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.

-Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.-

-The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

-The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.

-The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

-Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit--Prophesy,

Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

-The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.

-Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit--Love, Joy, Peace, Patience,

Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.

-The ten lords a-leaping were the ten commandments.

-The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.

-The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

So there is your history for today. This knowledge was shared with me and I found it interesting

and enlightening and now I know how that strange song became a Christmas Carol...

so pass it on if you wish.'

Merry Christmas Everyone

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Dec 25 12 10:25 AM

Arlington National Cemetery

Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.

Know the line has held, your job is done.

Rest easy, sleep well.

Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.

Peace, peace, and farewell...

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Jan 22 13 10:41 PM

Where were you in 1957?  Maybe like myself, you had stopped throwing rocks at girls and begun chasing them.  This was the year Band Stand started (brother Bernie became somewhat of a regular),  and you may have been dancing to "Jail House Rock" or wandered around humming 
"Que Sera, Sera...Whatever Will Be, Will Be".  This song held special meaning for me at this time; we were all living under the daily threat of nuclear annihilation.  Remember the siren drills?, Civil Air Shelters and the nuns warning: "Duck and Cover?" Stay away from those windows...as if any of that would have saved us.  Most of us were getting too big to hide under those school desks anyway.  Just when the Russians were putting up Sputnik and Rock & Roll seemed here to stay, Chicago's Cardinal Stritch banned all rock & roll and rhythm and blues music from Catholic-run schools, thinking it encouraged kids "...to behave in a hedonistic manner."  I don't remember his fiat having any effect on the Friday night dances at St. Vincent's.  Nice try, your Eminence. This was such a success that they started to keep us innocents out of viewing the best movies.  Another loser.  Looking back, '57 was a very good year, as were the following  years, until I left Germantown in 1962.  Then life really became interesting out in the bigger pond.  It was great being young during interesting times...

Click here to view the attachment

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Jan 23 13 4:00 AM

Just wanted to share this from Jerry Blavat's Facebook page:
"In 1944 soldiers returned home from war to find Philadelphia in turmoil: Corruption. Inequality. Poverty. Pollution. But change was in the air. Join us Thursday night as we explore one of Philadelphia's greatest turnarounds. See how a new skyline, a civil rights movement -- and a group of teenagers -- made the promise for a better city.
Are you one of those teenagers?
Philadelphia, the Great Experiment: Thursday night, January 24, at 7:30 on 6 ABC
THE GEATOR WITH THE HEATER.....THE BIG BOSS WITH THE HOT SAUCE

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help