Remove this ad

Community Announcement from jackmchugh

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

#21 [url]

Dec 17 12 11:08 PM

John, As you probably know we already have nearly one gun for everyone in America.  That would be nearly 300 million guns with 4 million new ones entering the market each year.  If more guns would make us safer, then we ought to be the safest nation on earth; instead, we are one of the most violent with nearly 12,000 deaths a year committed with guns.  These weapons have a long shelf life and will continue to kill their owners and members of the family (accidents/suicides) for the next hundred years or so.  It's a high price to pay for fear.  We cannot kid ourselves, the gun Genie is out of the bottle, sadly, and there's no way, or will, to put it back.  But does that mean we can't do anything?  I would like to see some modest speed bumps enacted-- nothing draconian that would affect the responsible hunter, sportsman or defense of the home person.  Surely we can make obtaining assault weapons as difficult to acquire as a grenade or tank, and would it be unreasonable to halt ad-hoc gun shows, online, unregistered sales of weapons and ammo clips exceeding 10 rounds?  Is the sale of Dum-dum bullets--the type the Conn. shooter used to turn those innocents into what must have looked like hamburger--really necessary?  Any measure that would make it more difficult to keep weapons out of the hands of the diagnosed mentally ill, I would support.  These are my views, you and others may have other ideas.  In my eyes, it would be a crime to do nothing, otherwise we have come full-circle and have arrived back in Dodge City or Tombstone, AZ of the old wild West.  Perhaps then some new sheriff will tell people to "check their guns" before going to town.  This ought to be a safety issue, but a small, unelected group (NRA) has turned any reforms into a litmus test for elective office.  Consider the mentality behind the enclosed ad... 

Click here to view the attachment

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Dec 18 12 5:39 AM

Kevin, I agree with every thing you posted in your insightful and realistic approach to my question to you. The only exception I might say is that, possibly Tombstone AZ, under Wyatt Earp, was safer then the country is today.It is time to use some common sense. Some gun control is as American as Wyatt Earp. In both Wichita and Dodge City, Wyatt Earp set boundaries for areas into which no guns were to be carried.

In the 10 months before Earp became town marshal for Dodge City, 25 people had been shot and killed in the town and twice as many wounded in saloon brawls and street battles. In the eight months following the establishment of no guns north of the railroad tracks for Dodge City, only two men had been shot and killed in brawls and no one killed by a police officer.” And this was during the time the cattle drives and celebrating cowboys arrived.

“…if gun control is enacted, no one will ever again be able to get their hands on a firearm.”

Hey it worked for drugs. I can’t find heroin or cocaine in any of my local pharmacies. I guess illicit drugs just aren’t available.

Kevin, I agree with every thing you posted in your insightful and realistic approach to my question to you. The only exception I might say is that, possibly Tombstone AZ, under Wyatt Earp, was safer then the country is today.It is time to use some common sense. Some gun control is as American as Wyatt Earp. In both Wichita and Dodge City, Wyatt Earp set boundaries for areas into which no guns were to be carried.

In the 10 months before Earp became town marshal for Dodge City, 25 people had been shot and killed in the town and twice as many wounded in saloon brawls and street battles. In the eight months following the establishment of no guns north of the railroad tracks for Dodge City, only two men had been shot and killed in brawls and no one killed by a police officer.” And this was during the time the cattle drives and celebrating cowboys arrived.

“…if gun control is enacted, no one will ever again be able to get their hands on a firearm.”

Hey it worked for drugs. I can’t find heroin or cocaine in any of my local pharmacies. I guess illicit drugs just aren’t available.

John Fleming Florida's favorite uncle Uncle Johnny

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Dec 18 12 9:35 AM

FYI: Sorry for the double posting. When I edited my original post, I thought I deleted the first posting, obviously I didn't.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Dec 18 12 10:23 AM

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 191

7, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
If you value your freedom, please spread this antigun-control message to all of your friends.
SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!
IT'S A NO BRAINER!
DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.
Spread the word everywhere you can that you are a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!

It's time to speak loud before they try to silence and disarm us.
You're not imagining it, history shows that governments always manipulate tragedies to attempt to disarm the people~

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Dec 18 12 12:37 PM

John:  What God awful gun association site did you download that selected bit of gun history from?  Love the juxtaposition of Moses with God and gun.  What have we come to:  Turning our shining city on a hill into a large ammo dump and sticking a cross atop it.  This seems to be what is being proposed for answers these days.  Check out Heston's gun room below.  Too bad none of this firepower could protect him from his real enemy--Alzheimer's

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Dec 18 12 2:54 PM

Hi Kevin,

I got that info from a Facebook friend's time line. Care to dispute its validity? Here's another one.

I seriously think we will ever have our cities turn into ammo dumps. If it does come to that, I think it will because we have allowed it, due to lenient enforcement of laws, especially those involving violence.

It appears as though the recent event in Connecticut has been blamed on either gun laws or the person with the gun. Let's suppose for a minute, that stricter gun laws were in effect, and assault rifles were just about impossible for private citizens to own. While the final result of the shootings most likely would not have been as horrific, most likely there would have been fatalities, and  one is way too many!  My point is that if a disturbed person is Hell bent on destruction, they will find a way.  I submit Timothy McVeigh as an example.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Dec 18 12 5:47 PM

Unlawful people do unlawful acts. Sick people do sick acts. Gun Control is not the answer, but GUN INVESTIGATION is. We need to do more background checks on people who want to purchase guns. I own guns and have enjoyed target shooting for many years. I taught marksman ship in the Marines, and my son was a sniper for the police department. I only know this ....there are 312 million guns in the United States. This is one reason our country will never be invaded by ground forces. We have a militia ready to defend this country. I do believe like drugs, stolen cars, etc., only the criminals will have the weapons.- Joe DAgostino

Joe DAgostino

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Dec 18 12 6:01 PM

We should  take the cars from the drunks. We should not let them have assault rifles that can kill many. ban large capacty clips.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Dec 18 12 6:07 PM

the designers of the constitution knew of mussel loaders the took time to reload. Bow and arrows, sabers and hatches. Hunters do not hunt 50 shot bannana clips.I woulld agree with single shot weapons and six shot pistols. Maybe 9shot clips.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Dec 18 12 6:37 PM

raymond_dawes : you are on the right track, but how many times do we read where a drunken motorist, has past DUI convictions, is involved in a fatal accident? I would agree that the average person that has a gun for home protection, should only need 6 or 9 shots to defend themselves.

Much is said about assault type of guns and rifles. Most don't see the need for private citizens to own them. My only thinking is that those that own them and use them for target practice, enjoy the extra adrenaline rush, one might get from firing them. If I may equate it to those that enjoy the thrill of motorcycling, with the excitement of cruising along with the wind racing through their hair. Please not that I live in Florida and there are no helmet laws. I might also add that hardly a day goes by, that I don't read in the paper, of a person riding a motorcycle being fatally injured. What I am trying to say, is should a gun collector, be deprived of owning assault weapons, because of the actions of a very few? I really don't have an answer one way or the other. Like everyone else, I would like to live in a more safer and civilized world, but unfortunately, that is not the way it is.

Sarah Palin buys a gun at a shop in Wasilla, Alaska, in a scene from her reality show, Sarah Palin’s Alaska

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Dec 19 12 5:50 AM

My, it is getting silly here….   No, cars don’t cause people to get drunk…   Really….   But if you noticed, there are strict laws against drinking and driving.  And, there is strong public opinion against drinking and driving.  You will never eliminate the problem completely, but the laws and public opinion has been effective.  Same with gun violence.  You will never eliminate it.   Gun control is needed to curb gun violence.  But, the NRA, the most powerful lobbying group in the US, has been effective in minimalizing the gun laws in an effort to protect their supporters’ fascination with their toys and their play dates.  Money talks…..    Even in the face of the senseless deaths of 20 1st graders and 6 courageous school administrators, they (and their supporters) continue to hide behind their over-used and familiar mantra, “Guns don’t kill, people do” in order to protect their fascination…..  Gun investigation is part of gun control.   Fact is, guns are behind most of the violence in this country, and we have become a very violent country.  There are more gins in this country than citizens.   To see the pictures of those 26 and not think something needs to be done is mind boggling….  Start by banning all assault weapons to private citizens.   There is absolutely no reason why a private citizen needs an assault weapon.  Then go from there in tightening up loopholes, background checks, etc.   You are not going to eliminate guns from our society any more than you are going to eliminate Legos and Barbie dolls.   But, stricter controls have shown to be effective.   Look to Australia as an example of this (Cathy is never around when you actually want her to be).  Thankfully, looks like our country’s leaders are finally waking up to the need.  But, why did it take the lives of those 20 children and 6 adults (sorry, not going to include the Mom here as I see her partially at fault in this tragedy) to finally get them moving in the right direction….

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Dec 19 12 5:57 AM

Not many come here but wishing all a Merry Christmas and all best wishes in the New Year.  I’ll be offline until after Christmas…..    Here is a photo that was a Christmas Card that a friend sent me last year.  Apparently, the Gtn Historical Society sells Cards with Germantown photos on them.   This was from 1959 and shows Santa’s arrival to Allen’s….   Who remembers this parade?   Was it on Thanksgiving Day?   And, was it considered a Thanksgiving Parade or a Christmas Parade?    

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Dec 19 12 6:04 AM

Here is a photo drawing of the longtime Christmas creche at Germantown's Immaculate Conception Church.  The display went back at least to the 1930s and closed with the parish in 2012.   The 3-arched stable supposedly fell apart a few years back and no longer useable, but the figures continued to be brought out each Christmas.  Photo is courtesy of Joe Cullinan, an alum of IC's clas of 1953.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Dec 19 12 6:10 AM

Talk about silliness, comparing guns to Legos and Barbie dolls tops all for silliness. Seems like some people live in a fantasy land. The only fantasy land I know of is the one that is about an hour from where I live.

Oh yes, how about one more mantra? “I rather be judged by 12 of my peers, then be carried out by 6 of my friends”

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Dec 20 12 1:03 AM

Dennis & Ray:  I remember Santa's arrival.  It seemed to be the start of the Christmas season, probably right after Thanksgiving on a day we now celebrate as Black Friday.    Santa seemed a bit tipsy, had a hard time getting up the ladder and into the 2nd story window @ Allen's.  Perhaps it was the altitude.   Most applauded, especially the kids.  Some of the older kids gave him a  a few raspberries and the famous Philly BOO!  It was another year I didn't get my Daisy rifle...and it didn't snow, again.  My new American Flyer sled would have to await a later Nor'easter.  BTW, Anyone recall how after a purchase in the larger Dept. stores, our money and sales slip would be put into a pneumatic tube and sent up/down to the accounts office,  where our change and receipt was zipped back to us with a swoosh sound.  Loved that high tech stuff, very impressive. 

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 20 12 5:05 AM

I too have tried to start a new topic without success.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong but just know that a memory I submitted on Christmastime in Germantown is floating around out there somewhere in cyberspace........never foresaw anything like this in the old days lol.   Helen

HELEN LEONE D'ANGELO

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help