Remove this ad

Community Announcement from jackmchugh

Rss     Subscribe     Share     Tweet    

0 Points

Lead

Dec 12 12 7:35 AM

Tags : :

At this time of year, many of us contact and write various friends. In doing so, I would ask you to also let them know that the Germantown Forum site is up and running. Even if they do not write anything on the Forum, I invite them to just jump over and read some of the interesting item on the Forum.
At this present time the Forum is like the old Germantown Thoughts in that it just runs in chronological order, with the last date being the last item. Remind them that they do not have to join the Forum to read the Forum, but of course if they wish to join and add something, we are always interested.
http://germantown.lefora.com/2012/11/28/come-on-back/
Thank You The Best to all, Jack McHugh

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Dec 12 12 8:41 AM

Glad to have this forum back. Let's keep it civil, and if I was the admin. I would not allow any posts from annoymus. As for our entire Germantown Family, I hope you all survived the storm of the century! As for me I have much to be thankful for. No damage, only lost power for 2 days,so all is well. Merry Christmas.
Joe DAgostino

Joe DAgostino

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 12 12 10:46 AM

While I would prefer to see people use their names when posting, not allowing anonymous posts, might be detrimental to the forum. Many people don't like registering to engage in a message board/forum. Some see it as being a invasion of privacy by being screened. Besides anyone can use any name they want, as there is no real way of verifying a person being who they say they are.

John Fleming Florida's favorite uncle Uncle Johnny

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 13 12 8:04 AM

Jack – people don’t know to come here or how.  You’ve been in contact with the webmaster of the Historic Germantown website.  See if she will post a link to this forum on the “Your Thoughts…” webpage.  People probably still go there looking for the blog, see that its shut down, and move on.  Some that do know of this forum might be turned off by the arrangement with the ads.  I just had to watch a Crest toothpaste ad all the way through before they would give me the answer that was needed to prove that I was a human being.  Yeah, you can pay a VIP fee to avoid all that, but that leads to the question, is it worth it…  

There was a miniature golf course on Stenton Ave not too far from Washington La at some point (before my time).  Does anyone know if there were any others in Germantown?  This photo gives no indication of the location or date, only that it is a miniature golf course in Germantown.  Looks like it might be the one on Stenton Ave, but don't know....

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 13 12 9:44 AM

So far I haven't had any “video” ads when I come to this forum. The only ads I get are on the borders of the page. I use the Firefox browser, and all I have to do is type in the letter “g” in my address line, and it takes me to this forum. I might add that “commercials” have followed, and been part of technology from day one. Soap operas got that name, because in the early days of radio, the daytime dramas, i.e. “Our Gal Sunday”, “The Second Mrs. Burton”, etc. were sponsored by soap makers, such as Oxydol. This continued with the advent and popularity of TV. Those of us old enough to remember, remember when commercials were kept to a minimum. I have DVD sets of shows of the 50's, such as The Honeymooners, Amos n' Andy and Phil Silvers as Sgt. Bilko, and all these shows run 25 minutes! Can you imagine only 5 minutes of commercials during a 30 minute broadcast?

More and more websites, such as Youtube, have commercials before you can view their contents. I have to believe that this is going to happen more and more with sites.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 13 12 10:30 AM

Regarding the miniature golf course Dennis, I remember it also. It was on the east side of Stenton Ave a block or so south of Washington Lane. Technically it was in West Oak Lane as it was on the east side of Stenton Ave. which was the Germantown boundary line. Stenton Ave. was also the boundary between Immaculate Conception parish and St. Athanasius (known as St. AAAAs phonetically). It was also, in the eyes of some, the boundary between the nice people and the rabble (you figure out which was which). The mini-golf course was eventually replaced by a supermarket. I believe your photo is the one I am referring to but not enough detail to be sure. If so, then the photo would have been taken from the Stenton Ave. side and facing east toward Mansfield St. which wrapped around the back end to Washington Lane. That part of Oak Lane was mostly Catholic slowly rising middle class. The East side of Stenton was heavily Catholic, but not yet so risen, working class. North of Washington Lane was solidly Jewish for miles.

When I logged on,I apparently made an error in tying the "captchin" and had to endure the toothpaste commercial in order to get the magic phrase. Now there is a quid pro quo if ever I saw one.

One more thought, I considered going back to the old Germantown site to go through the last archive to retrieve all of the email addresses of people that are not active on this site, with the intent of sending them an email informing them that this site is up and working. If I get time I will do it and post the fact so all will know if it gets results.

Cheers!

Dan Hartnett Former East Germantown Presently Warwick Twp.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 13 12 1:25 PM

I love saying this:  "The sky is falling."  "The sky is falling."  The end is near!!  Please get your thoughts in here prior to Dec 21st when, according to the ancient Mayans, the world will end (not really, but why take the chance, eh?).  One should always take the advise from people that have disappeared...Kevin

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Dec 14 12 3:49 PM

Father, have mercy on and welcome into your Kingdom those little angels and their teachers that perished in Conn. today.  Going to school today (or just shopping, etc.) is an act of faith.  It didn't used to be that way.  We never expected to be shot back in old Germantown.  What went wrong?--Kevin

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Dec 14 12 4:03 PM

What went wrong? Where do I begin? Out of respect to the families that lost people today in Conn. I will remind silent.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Dec 14 12 5:09 PM

How sad to think little children on an ordinary day of school are brutally executed.  This is no longer the country I knew growing up, where are we going?  Can it get any worse?  God have mercy on these families and on all of us.

HELEN LEONE D'ANGELO

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dec 15 12 6:27 PM

This is truly sad. Of course we will now get all the "Gun Control" people out in force once again. I do not have the answers to any of this madness. I do know one thing I read it went like this...STUDENT TO GOD...."God why do you allow such violence in our schools? GOD TO STUDENT...."Because I am not allowed in schools." It is sad that because of Political Correctness, GOD no longer exists in our society. Maybe we need gun reform,or maybe we need to get back the basics that founded this great country. In GOD we trust, GOD Bless America, and Merry Christmas, seem to have done no harm in the past. Finally, like all Americans, my heart goes out to the families, that must endure the most tragic of all tragedies, the lost of a son or daughter. May they rest in peace.

Joe DAgostino

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Dec 17 12 11:26 AM

“Guns don’t kill people, people kill people” is the tired old mantra that the NRA and its supporters continue to spew out to challenge the increasing call for greater gun control in a civilized society.   A friend posted this link on Facebook.  Some very valid points…..   Maybe if the Mom didn’t have an assault rifle in the home where her mentally ill and angry son lived, 20 1st graders and 6 courageous adults would still be alive today…..  Her sister is quoted as saying she needed the guns for protection.  An assault rifle for protection????  Sadly, there will be more school, mall, movie theatre, etc massacres with guns in our future.   What do you expect when there are more gun shops in our country than there are McDonald’s and such lenient gun control laws?  The article does raise a valid question – what will it take for us to realize that we have a real national problem here?    

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/guns-and-the-limits-of-shame.html

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Dec 17 12 12:10 PM

I recently took out my first grade class picture from St Vincent's (six year olds), crossed out the faces on twenty of my classmates, and tried to imagine life without them.  It was unimaginable-- not to mention the  loss of seven nuns-- that would have been nearly the entire teaching staff.  Why?  What are people so afraid of?  Between the policies of the NRA and Grover Norquist's American for Tax Reform our country is on its knees, bleeding financially and slaughtered indiscriminately through lax gun laws.  Unrelenting pressure from both groups have turned our representatives into jello.  Even the most modest reforms are fought with the same ferocity we saw during the Civil War that tore this country apart once, and, did I mention, that talk of secession has resurfaced again.  Forrest Gump was right, "Stupid is what stupid does."

Kevin Mc Kernan

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Dec 17 12 1:42 PM

Hello All and a Merry Christmas to all amid the sadness we share on the mass murder, especially of innocents, in Connecticut. Dennis, your arguments are emotion based and will do nothing to stop the continuing vicious murders that we all read about frequently. You referred to our society as "civilized". It used to be and you may want to rethink that. I believe it is anything but.  I think Joe D'Agostino hit the nail on the head regarding the culturati and the ideologized political leadership pushing God out of the putblic square. The root of the problem is evil. Oh, I forgot, I am being a little "judgemental" aren't I. Sorry!  You referred to the mom's assault rifle. Well, her offspring didn't use the rifle, he used two pistols. The rifle was out in the car. I seem to remember Wild Bill Hickock having two pistols. Nothing new there except that you could get a 45 automatic anytime after 1906 or thereabout. Since WWII you could buy M! carbines with 30 round banana clips as surplus. That is an assault rifle. Tell you what; you take the AR15 and I'll take the M1 for a face off and we will see who will be left standing. It could go either way. My point is that this stuff was out there years ago and assaults on this scale did not happen. The society is morally imploding in a thousand different ways. So much for civilized. Pick up the Inquirer on any day and you will see.

In Australia, they introduced draconian gun laws with severe penalties and rounded up the guns. Immediately after, the crime wave with weapons, went through the roof against an unprotected public.

Kevin, I love you dearly and acknowledge you to be the best writer and humorist on this blog (my opinion) but I fail to see the link between the murder of little children and Grover Norquist. It will take tortured logic to establish that one. Remember, no one was stopping the Democrats when for two years they had both houses of congress and the Presidency so if they were sincere they could have made a move then as there would not have been enough NRA Norquistian opposition to stop them. As you would say to me "nice try". Since some are now injecting politics into this tragedy I would like to remind you "gentle reader" that it was the Democrats who booed God at their convention.

Peace on earth to men of good will!

Dan Hartnett Former East Germantown Presently Warwick Twp.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Dec 17 12 3:50 PM

Dan – ours is a civilized society.  There is no need for me to rethink that.  For you to say “it is anything but”, is sad because it gives an indication that you have given up on humanity. And, if I am mixing you up with another, then I apologize, but aren’t you a deacon?  If so, that makes your position even sadder.  There is no denying there is a lot of sadness, cruelty, pain and aggression in this world we live in, and I will agree with you there is a lot of evil in the mix as well.  But, I believe most people are good at heart, and have human compassion.  Yes, there is a lot of bad in the world.  But, it’s sad you focus only on that bad and not see the good in the world or that is in most people.  Without knowing all the facts, I’ll put myself out on a limb and say the events that happened on Friday have little to do with evil, but with mental illness and a built-up anger.  But, yes, evil has its day and its way in the world.  We’ve seen that…..  As for whether he used an assault rifle or left it in his car and used a pistol instead, how silly to bring up.  The facts stated so far was that he had his Mom’s assault rifle, got off over a hundred rounds, and was able to get them off quickly in covering two classrooms and the hall outside those classrooms.  Do you think that carnage would have happened if his Mom didn’t have her own personal magazine in her home that he had access to?   And used…..   I know that magazine is protected by the 2nd Amendment, the NRA and its supporters.  But, if a little stricter gun control would help to save lives, don’t you think it would be worth it?  I would bet the parents of those innocent 20 1st graders think so.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Dec 17 12 6:28 PM

Yes the “Guns don't kill people etc.” is a tired old mantra, and so are the 10 Commandments, but people still kill each other, and break the other 9 Commandments. We already have gun control in this control. Of course it could be argued that its not enough. I think we need more “people control”. Yes I agree that no one really needs to have assault type guns, but the fact remains that a garden variety hand gun can do as much damage. It is my understanding that he only used hand guns for his massacre.

Here is another tired old mantra. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Dec 17 12 6:45 PM

Kevin, what type of gun laws would you like to see enforced? Many states require what is known as a “cooling off' period, from the time a person applies for a gun, until they are allowed to purchase a firearm.

gun control1 Gun Control

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Dec 17 12 6:56 PM

Yes we have a civilized society, but not as civilized as we used to be. We are becoming a more aggressive and violent society. Why? All the violent video games? All the violence in sports? I can't say, and just don't know. I can remember a time when I would ride the Broad Street Subway at any time, without ever thinking about fear. Just recently a teenager, pulled a gun and shot at passengers on the subway as he got off! Where did he get the gun?

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8923326

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help